It's been awhile again... sorry about that. I've been pretty busy with school wrapping up, thinking about my upcoming travels, and graduate school next year. Not to mention, trying to bring myself to realize that yes, I am leaving Korea soon. Soon I will be back in the US. I have been looking forward to going home, and of course I will be VERY excited to be back in my normal lifestyle and seeing my friends and family. However, I am also trying to deal with saying goodbye to Korea. Despite what you might think from my rantings in my blog, I will miss some of my students, and I will miss my host family (my youngest host brother has been giving me daily hugs {hugs aren't common here in Korea} --sometimes even hugs by the minute -- he's going to be so sad when I leave!!) . I will miss other things about Korea too -- the culture, the food, the mountains (!!!), and yes, even some things about the Korean mind-set. I'm also trying to prepare myself for the culture shock of coming back to America. Yes, I expect culture shock even from my home country. It will be weird physically (adjusting to American food, and the time change) and emotionally (being near my family, going away to graduate school, and many other things). I am also wondering how I will process my year in Korea. I have done, seen, experienced, and survived a LOT this year. Those of you who are faithful readers have had a little insight into my experience. But I really believe only people who have spent a long time here in Korea can truly understand what I have gone through. I think that is one of the strongest points of the Fulbright ETA program in Korea -- that we have ~80 other ETAs here that we can talk with, rant to, and share experiences with. And they will understand us on a deeper level than those at home (even with the best intentions) are able to. At the farewell dinner this weekend in Seoul, some of us chatted about how we will answer the "So how was Korea?" question. How can I possibly sum up my year here in Korea in a "short" answer? I don't even know what I truly think of my time here. Obviously there were many good experiences, and many difficult experiences. But overall, what do I think? I know that some people will only be looking for a "It was really great" kind of answer with a smile and nod. I suppose I can give them that. Or, a "It was interesting, but it's always good to come home." Yeah, good ol' US of A patriotism. Three of the current ETAs gave brief speeches at the dinner, all reflecting back on the year. The common thread was that this year has had an impact on us. Maybe right now as we spend some time reflecting, we can get a glimpse of that impact. However, I think our year in Korea will continue to impact us throughout our lives, both consciously and subconsciously. I'm interested to see how it impacts me in my future!! I really hope I can stay in touch with those ETAs I became close to while here in Korea. America is a big place, but I hope to visit some of them and that some of them will visit me in Iowa or Madison!!! (Side note: I will miss being able to travel to a new place almost every weekend!) It is really quite strange when you think about our relationships: We came from all walks of life -- different interests and beliefs; we met in Korea and have gone through this experience together, becoming closer with some than others; and now we leave again, and are scattered across the globe -- grad schools, jobs, and other adventures. I love how diverse our group was, and hope that I can keep up with everyone's lives after this year. (Facebook should help, hah!) Anyway, that is a bit of what I am trying to get a grip on these days.
Besides that, I have been busy seeing the last few places in Korea on my "short" list. I went to stay with my friend Matt in Gyeongju, as his school has already gotten him his apartment for next year (he is staying in Korea). It was great to see him and his cute mini apartment. On Saturday, we met up with another ETA, Laura, in Pohang. We did a waterfall hike that I had been wanting to do for quite some time now. Too bad it was raining -- pouring at times --, but it was still worth the hike and we had a good time getting soaked to the bone. We followed it up with Pizza Hut and Baskin Robbins -- yum! Sunday morning before I headed home, Matt and I rented some bikes for a couple hours and biked around Gyeongju. I really miss riding a bike, and wish I had bought one here in Korea for the year. I can't wait to get a new bike and bike all to campus each day (weather-permitting) in Madison!



Pictures from our awesome, but wet, hike in Pohang!
One of the students I helped prepare for an English contest received a bronze medal (3rd level price). I was sooo proud of him, because I was told that no student from Gwangyang HS has ever won a medal before! So I bought him a cake from a bakery near my apartment, and we enjoyed it (aka it disappeared in seconds, no joke!) with his homeroom class during lunch. He said some really sweet things, and I know he was bullshitting me, but I don't care! :-P He told me that as soon as he heard he won the prize, he thought of me!! awwww! ㅠ.ㅠ
This last weekend, as I briefly mentioned above, was the farewell dinner in Seoul. I met up with Anne Friday night and we went out for Mexican food AND Subway for dinner. Yummy yummy! Then we crashed in our hotel room in the AC (Seoul was HOT this weekend) and watched Grey's Anatomy before trying to go to bed. (They screwed up our hotel reservation and put us in a dorm room with rickety bunk beds and REALLY loud people and lights out in the hall -- we didn't sleep well at all.) Saturday I did some shopping along Insadong, the best place to find Korean crafts. I bought about 15 pounds worth of the cardboard frames/structures to build hanji projects once I return to the US. (And today my arm muscles are sore from lugging it around all weekend) Anne and I headed to Myeongdong for some clothes shopping, bokkumbap (fried rice), and gelato, before again enjoying the AC in our hotel room and taking a short nap. Then we got all dolled up for the final dinner, which was held on the US Military base. It was surreal to say goodbye to all the other ETAs realizing that some I will never see again, and many I won't see for a very, very long time. (Again, thank goodness for facebook!) After the dinner Saturday night, I went out with some girls for Sangria and luxury noraebang (karaoke). Sunday I participated in a final study for the linguistics study I participated in last summer during orientation, then met up with Matt, Jen, and Anne after Anne finished taking her LSATs exam (Woo!!) for some amazing Italian food. I got a mushroom calzone and a glass of red wine. And then caught an afternoon bus home.

Drinking sangria with Shelby.
Now I just see all my classes 1 or 2 more times before I am done teaching for the year. 3 weeks from yesterday is when I fly to Japan to see Ike. And on Wednesday I fly to Taiwan for a week during my break for my students' final exams. I am going with Matt, Anne, and Tim. Should be a good time -- beaches, shopping, hiking, cliff jumping (<--- hopefully!) (don't worry, Mom!). I'm sure I'll have some gorgeous pictures to post from the trip (if it doesn't rain on us the whole time!).
All my best to you all!
1 comment:
Bethany,
After meeting all of Ike's friends from all over the globe I understand what you said by the diverse but cohesive group you are. It made me feel good to know that he has good friends even in Japan. It must be very hard to transition between two such different cultures, but how neat that you had this great experience. I can't wait to see you!
Love,
Kate
Post a Comment