So yesterday I went back to school, not knowing what to expect about anything! Lucky for me, I will not start teaching until next Monday, so I basically just have complete free time at work. I hope my teaching voice comes back strong and clear! Here's a run down:
1. New co-teacher
Mrs. Chue. She seems pretty cool and her English is really good. She's not an airhead like my old co-teacher, but she seems less eager to help me out. We'll see which one will be "better" in the long run....
2. New classroom!
My classroom (aka the English lab) was remodeled during my winter vacation. It is now IMMACULATE! They got rid of the horrible tables and replaced them with spanking new desks and chairs (that are on wheels... this could be dangerous). There are posters of England and Europe all over the walls (obviously necessary to learn English, right?). There's even a world map on the back wall, with close ups of Europe and Africa. Europe has all the countries' borders and names written in, whereas Africa is just a big blob of a continent. Maybe they think it's still uncharted territory? There are even bookshelves and books!! And a new computer, comfortable desk chair, and some crazy equipment I don't know how to use yet. I'm really looking forward to teaching in the new classroom. I think it will make me more excited about teaching, and make the students much more focused on learning. Only problem is, now there is no space for me to hang student work. :-(
3. New teaching style
I have to teach the speaking and listening parts out of the students' textbook. It will probably take up almost the first half of class, which means that I still come up with another activity. I have mixed feelings about this. While I feel like it will be boring and repetitive, I think the students will focus on it more, because it is the "main" English material. Before I just taught whatever subject I wanted, and I think the students thought it wasn't as important. I think the teachers probably agreed -- I had one teacher tell me today: "Now you will really be a part of the English education here." Umm... wasn't I last semester? Also, I feel like I will feel a sense of accomplishment. There are actual dialogues I will be going over with them, not to mention them practicing their listening. We'll see how it goes after I have a couple weeks. This means I have less lesson planning to do. I was excited about some of the lessons I had been planning (going to steal a US Cities multi part lesson from another amazing ETA), but will now have to figure out how to cram them into half a period or else make them 2 classes long, which might not work so well since I see the students only once a week.
4. New teachers in the classroom
All 4 of the teachers that actually co-teach with me in the classroom (aka, show up sometimes and don't really participate) are new this semester. One was a third grade teacher last year, so I never taught with him, but I know him. The other 3 are all the new English teachers at my school. Should be interesting.... kinda nervous.
On a side note, I gave the teachers the candy I bought for them during my SE Asia travels. They all loved it. My principal even gave me a thumbs up and said how awesome it is that every time I go somewhere I bring back food for everyone. Haha! I'm glad he noticed. (So what if I'm trying to bribe them with food so they say yes when I ask for days off? :-P)
On another side note, Ike and I are working on travel arrangements for him to come visit me in Korea for a week!! It's during a big holiday in Japan, which means travel is really full and expensive, but we're working through it. Super excited to show him around! :-D
Cara Menghilangkan Suara Di Video Tanpa Aplikasi
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment