Friday, March 6, 2009

Female teachers lounge

It is so funny to walk around the hallways this new semester. The new first grade students, who don't know me at all, don't know quite how to react to me. I don't know if they had a foreigner at their middle schools or not. The 2nd and 3rd grade students who I had last year have mixed reactions -- some avoid looking at me at all costs, some get big smiles on their faces when I greet them. I find this huge difference pretty entertaining.

One of the new English teachers at my school, Mr. Kim (yes, we now have 3 Mr. Kim English teachers), came from my host mom's school last year. He told me today at lunch that she used to talk about me all the time. I hope it was good??

Today I have been at school ALL DAY with nothing to do work-wise. 8:20-5:30. I have been reading and watching a new Korean drama that I am trying to follow. I won't complain, although I'm a little bored, it's better than preparing for finals as Knox students are doing, or being in the classroom. Anyway, after lunch today I decided to go read for a bit in the female teacher's lounge instead of at my desk. 2 teachers were in there when I went in, talking loudly / gossiping. One teacher was new at our school, Mrs. Shin, and she is the music teacher. I took my spot on the floor (which was scorchingly hot) and started reading while they continued gossiping. Soon 2 more teachers came in and they were clucking away. They are so funny -- they look like junior high girls. Three of them laying side by side under a pink and white comforter and the 4th sitting with her legs under to keep warm. At 2 they all left for their classes, and I was left alone, so I decided to lay down and take a nap. A few minutes later, Mrs. Song, my old co-teacher, came in and asked if I was sick? I guess she was surprised that I was spending time in there, since I never really did last semester. (The oldest female teacher was ALWAYS in there, and she would always speak Korean with me and I never understood. I usually only went in when the normal bathroom was out of TP. I haven't seen her around this year, so I assume she transferred.) I told her that of course I wasn't sick, and that I was just relaxing. I think she has asked me all 3 days that I've been back at school: "Are you feeling ok? Are you recovered?" And everyday I tell her that yes, I am recovered! She is so funny.

We had spaghetti for lunch. It was pretty bad as far as spaghetti goes, but I still appreciated the familiar food. That is the first time I have seen it in our cafeteria! In an hour, I'm off to have dinner with the teachers, welcoming all the new faces in our school.

No comments: