So, it's really unfortunate, but my patience has all but run out for dealing with my host dad. I guess I am lucky that he doesn't get home until after 9pm most nights, but compared to Korea, that is early for fathers to get home. I wish he got home after I was in bed, like most Korean fathers. The house is always nice and peaceful until he comes home....
Then when he comes home I can't stand the sound of his voice. I can't stand the sound of him telling the boys to "HURRY HURRY!" every 5 seconds. I can't stand that all his free time at home is spent taking care of his damned plants. I can't stand that he asks me stupid questions and repeats the same stories everyday.
This morning at breakfast he was talking YET AGAIN about how many people are sad about the ex-President's suicide here in Korea. Finally, being sick of hearing this story multiple times a day the past week, I said "You seem very surprised about this. Are you surprised?" He says: "No, but I think you CANNOT understand our culture. For Koreans..." and I interrupted him: "If this happened in the US, we would do the same thing." (That is, people would go to the public funeral, and be mourning his suicide. Especially if it was one of the most well-liked Presidents in our history, as was President Roh.) And he said: "Oh, really?" So it seems like HE is the one that can't understand MY culture, not the other way around.
I love the rest of my host family, but really can't stand my host dad any longer....
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment