First off, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!! I hope you have a fabulous day! Ike and I were talking yesterday that it just does not feel like Christmas here, for several reasons:
1. Lack of snow!! I know you are all probably cursing the snow by now, but think of me -- we don't have any, and I've only seen flakes a few times this year.
2. Barely any Christmas Decorations -- I'm lucky that my host family has a Christmas tree (and not so lucky that they have a tiny one that plays annoying versions of Christmas music! :-D) and I have an Advent calendar in my room, and 2 Christmas beanie babies from my mom, but that's it as far as Christmas decorations go. I am always so spoiled by my mom's beautiful decorations in our house!
3. No church -- Going to church, especially throughout the Advent season, is one of the best ways to prepare for Christmas and Jesus' birthday. I have really missed going to church here in Korea.
4. Being away from family -- I have come to realize just how special it is to be able to celebrate Christmas and all holidays with your family and friends!! I really miss spending time with everyone. I have been lucky enough to celebrate Christmas with my family for every one of my previous 21 Christmases -- how blessed I've been! I always took this for granted. This year I especially realize how important it is to spend this very special holiday with your family. I miss you all so much!
So Christmas in Korea has been very different from my usual Christmas at home. It started last night, when we all went out the eat at Ashley's, an "American restaurant" in Home Plus. The food was decent, buffet style. I got to have cheesecake, though, so I won't complain!! :-) I guess this is what most Korean families do on Christmas eve -- go out to a restaurant. There was a 15 minute wait to get a table, so we walked around the store and the boys basically picked out their Christmas present right then. Yes, this was at 6:30pm on Christmas Eve. I guess they don't start Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving at 4am. After dinner, my host parents dropped me and the boys off at home and went back to the store to get the presents.
In the elevator on the way up to our apartment, I asked my host brother what his family usually does on Christmas day. He said presents -- and I said you'll get presents in the morning? He said, no very soon right now! And, less than an hour later, the parents were back with the Christmas present. Yes, one for the boys to share. This probably wouldn't fly in America! :-) They (and by they, I mean Jun-ho decided pretty much) picked out a mini billiards set. I don't know much about billiards, but it has 4 balls, 2 pool sticks, and the table is miniature and doesn't have legs. Anyway, they spent all of Christmas Eve trying to figure out how to hold the pool sticks and practicing hitting the balls. And using the brush to "groom" the felt, haha. There was no wrapping the present or putting it under the tree. Personally, I think that is half the fun of Christmas-- the anticipation!! They gave me my present, and frankly, I was shocked! I wasn't expecting anything from them as they told me that Christmas was just a time to give presents to children. They gave me a "his and hers" socks gift set -- 3 for me and 3 for Ike, for our trip to China. My host dad told me "You need more socks when you travel." Oh really? Sure, host dad! :-) Anyway, I think it's adorable. After a bit, the parents left to go to a nearby bar, and the kids busted out the Christmas cake -- not sure if they were supposed to save that for Christmas or what. Pretty much I think the boys just do whatever they want, I rarely see them disciplined at all. I retired to my room relatively early, as I was feeling sleepy and just wanted some alone time. I turned on the Christmas music and crawled in bed for some reading time. I also skyped with mom and Ike and wished them a Merry Christmas Eve before bed. Right after I hung up with mom & dad, the song "I'll be home for Christmas" came on and surprisingly that made me get all teary-eyed.
I awoke on Christmas morning to the smell of fish soup cooking in the kitchen. Nothing says Christmas morning like fishy smells! :-) Everyone was awake, but still in their rooms, so I hurriedly tried to place my presents for the boys out under our small Christmas tree. Then I went back to my room to lay down for a bit longer until everyone emerged from their rooms. Well, a few minutes later I hear ripping paper and soon realize that they boys are tearing into their presents from me. Sure enough, by the time I got out there they had already opened their first one. The little shit heads! I said, "Why are you opening them already? You are suppoesd to wait for me!!" To which they both just giggled, and then the mom came out and giggled as well. (Again, lack of discipline -- just like with the cookies a few weeks ago). Anyway, they seemed to like their presents! I gave them each a poster and a book, and then a game of Jenga for them to share. Jun-ho was really excited about Jenga, because he had played it at camp "F" this past summer. Breakfast was ddeok (rice cake) soup with oysters. Then at 9:30 we broke out the Christmas cake! A little early for Koreans to be eating sweets, but hey I'm down with that. It's 11am now and the host dad still hasn't graced us with his presence. He'll probably be spending all day in bed.
I took some time to do the Christmas readings from mass and I'm listening to Christmas music right now. I also just opened up gifts mom and dad had brought from other people for me, so that was great! I got body wash, slippers, gloves and a scarf, homemade Christmas goodies, and lipstick! I made off pretty well. Thanks to everyone for the Christmas emails and gifts -- it's nice to know people are thinking of me!
I wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Enjoy the time you are spending with your friends and family, and don't take it for granted! You really are blessed to be in such good company. Peace to all and safe travels in the winter weather. :-)
Cara Menghilangkan Suara Di Video Tanpa Aplikasi
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment