Thursday, December 4, 2008

You know you've been somewhere for a long time when... you get your second haircut!

It had been 3 months since I last got my haircut (only a few weeks into my time here in Suncheon), so I decided I should get it cut so I look all nice when my parents come. Again, the hairdresser cut it shorter than I asked for. I think this woman is just completely inefficient and doesn't know when to stop. She cuts the hair, then proceeds to re-cut it and re-cut. The first time around was the length I wanted, but I guess she wasn't satisfied. It reminded me of an episode of Seasame Street from my childhood: Bert & Ernie have 2 sticks of candy. Ernie wants to make sure it's fair, so he wants them to be the same length. He takes a bite off one to make them equal. Well, then the longer one is now shorter, so he takes a bite off the other one to make them equal. Now it is shorter. He proceeds to bite off both sticks of candy to make them equal, but each time making them unequal again! Needless to say, he eats all the candy. (At least if I remember right. This is probably 1.5+ decades old in my memory.... sheesh that makes me feel old!) Anyway, it turned out pretty cute, even if there are a few strands that don't stay behind my ears.

So I came home from school today to find something that angered me quite a bit. ALL the cookies I had left for my host family disappeared. Yes, in less than 24 hours from when I baked them. Only my younger host brother was home when I got home, so I asked him where the cookies went. He said Jun-ho had eaten them all! What a little shit head! There were at least 15 (maybe 20) in there this morning when I left. The whole tupperware was full. When I came home not a single crumb remained. This came off as extremely greedy and selfish to me! I had made these cookies to share with the whole family, not just him. And they were for me too! Baking takes time, and I devoted almost my whole evening to it last night. Luckily I had set aside the cookies I planned to take to Seoul with me this weekend to share with the other Fulbrighters. Well, I didn't want to let this rude act go unmentioned. So, tonight at dinner (my host dad was gone), I brought it up. I said "Jun-ho, all the cookies disappeared today." This got me giggles and an "I think you'll find them all in my stomache." No sense of remorse or that he did something wrong. I expected the mom to speak up and say that he shouldn't have done that, or be surprised that her son ate so many cookies. I said those cookies weren't just for you, they were for the whole family to share. Still no apology. I asked how many he ate, and he just shrugged. I said there were at least 15 cookies in there, and he said "no". And I said "yes, there were." He said "I think if there were a cookie eating contest I would win." Not the right response, buddy. Restraining myself from pointing out how rude he was, I said next time you cannot eat all the cookies in one day. You need to share them. Still no apology from him or his mother. I guess next time I will keep the cookies in my room and only share them as I eat them.

I guess Korea is just not ready for cookies? First the teachers at school complained that they were not well-made. Now my host brother eats 15+ cookies in less than 24 hours? I'm used to baked goods disappearing at my house, but not this fast, and not by only one person's complete lack of restraint.

Anyway, I've been spending my time tonight packing for my week long travels with my parents in Seoul and Chungju. I'm leaving tomorrow right after school, where I'll spend the weekend proctoring an exam for Fulbright in Seoul (and making $300!) and then meet my parents bright and early Monday morning at 6am. I hope we have a great time! I'm sure I'll have internet access now and then, but I'm not going to promise a blog entry. We aim to return to Suncheon Saturday evening.

Have a great week everyone and pray for a safe flight for my parents!!!

1 comment:

cglinsma said...

Oh Bethany, have a wonderful time with your folks! I'll keep you all in my prayers as you travel.
Love,
Kate