Monday, April 20, 2009

Students' future dreams

So over the past couple of weeks, I assigned homework to some of my classes because they were bad in my class. Their homework was: "Write 10 sentences about your future life." I've gotten some interesting responses.

Almost all students' responses tell the same story:
They graduate HS with good grades, and then go to a university in Seoul (where the top 3 "elite" schools are in Korea). Then they will become a doctor/teacher/lawyer/dentist. They all want to "save the world" or be known as a nice or charitable person. They talk about making lots of money and then using that money to give to poor people, but also to buy houses/clothes/food/cars in excess. They talk about marrying a "pretty" girl and then having "handsom" sons and "cute" daughters. They say their children will be good students. They finish by saying they will die a respected person, and in the company of their children and grandchildren.

I think it says a lot about Korean society that almost all students have the same (or similar) dreams.

No comments: