
So today I noticed a not so pleasant smell wafting into my room while my host mom was cooking lunch. Usually things smell either really delicious, or just ok. But this smell was so bad I even mentioned it to my mom, who I was talking to on Skype. Well, when it was time to eat, a surprise was waiting for me indeed. We were having seafood soup, which included: snails, clams, crawfish, fish intestines, and.... WARTY SEA SQUIRT! (The Korean name: 미더덕) I had never heard of this or seen this in my life and was a little wary of eating it. But, going with the flow as I have learned to do here in Korea, I tried it. I asked my host family what it was "ohh, that's fish intestines. It's delicious!" "Ohhh, that's 미더덕, it's delicious! It is always in seafood soups in Korea." This Warty sea Squirt looked like a silk worm's cacoon, but when I bit into it there was a loud popping noise and something hard. I spit it out, unsure of how to eat this thing. Then my host brother showed me you just bite the thing and eat it. So, I gave it another go. The taste was.... edible. But I gave the other 2 in my soup to my host brother. Hah!Here is a pic: http://www.invil.com/upload/product/p_8801234133029_10.gif
Here's more pictures: http://www.seafriends.org.nz/enviro/Habitat/rsascidi.htm

No comments:
Post a Comment