So today I have some funny stories to tell from English camp.
1. I don't know if I mentioned this in my blog at the beginning or not, but the Korean name that my host family gave me is actually a boy's name!! It is Byun Jun Yeong. (Because they typically give their kids the same "first" name which is actually the Jun here. So my host brothers are Jun-ho and Jun-eun, so they gave me Jun-yeong, even though I'm a girl!) Well, it turns out one of the second graders in my English camp has the same name (not Byun, which is the family name. Yes, family names come first in Korean names). Well, we were talking about this at dinner with the second graders last Friday night. Often times the Korean names have meanings taken from the Chinese characters. For my name, it means Hero Flower. I guess his name means Hero and then some other meaning. Well, today in class I called on him using the English version "Hero Flower", and he hesitated for awhile, then realized I meant him. Well, then the other students were confused, so he quickly said "remember her name is Byun Jun Yeong" in Korean. Well, then they all started giggling. I said "Byun is a bad family name, right?" My host father had told me about a figure from Korean history that basically was a dumbass, and his last name was Byun, so usually people laugh at that last name. Well, after a bit of coaxing I got my students to tell me that it roughly meant "dung" in Korean. Well, then I taught them that "dung" isn't commonly used in English, and that they should use poop or shit. So then we had a good time writing my Korean name on the board with the English meanings. So basically, if I were to use my Korean name, it would roughly mean: POOP HERO FLOWER. Isn't that pretty epic?
2. Later I was with the 1st graders and one of the activities we chose to do today was something I remember doing to practice my Spanish in Argentina. We played "Fortunately/ Unfortunately". This is where you sit in a circle and the first person starts off with a sentence beginning with "Fortunately... blah blah blah." And then the next person follows it with "Unfortunately... blah blah blah" and you continue around the circle. Now when I played it in Spanish we were always really creative and it made the stories hillarious. Well, I expected this would be a pretty hard exercise for the 1st graders since their level is so low, but after a little bit of coaxing, they got pretty into it!! Our first story was pretty boring, so then the second try I tried to get them to be more creative. I started it off with "Fortunately, I am flying to the sun tomorrow." Then the students continued on with something along the lines of:
"Unfortunately, my body will melt."
"Fortunately, it will turn to rain."
"Unfortunately, a whale will eat the rain."
Well, where do you go from there? So we had to stop, but I still thought it was funny. But the third story was the best. It went around for a bit and when it came back around to me I thought the kids were bored and would want to do a different game, so I said "Unfortunately, I died. Ok guys, we can stop." Well, the students were so into it that I guess they wanted to keep going!! They said, "No, teacher, angel!" They wanted to continue on post-mortem, lolz. So basically, the cliff notes of the rest of the story are that we became a zombie, ate our mom (who stayed alive inside our stomache), ate our dad, our little sister turned into a zombie too and together we travelled to Egypt, where we met a mummy, then we ate the mummy too. It was pretty ridiculous!! :-P
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment