Thursday, January 22, 2009

MmMmMmMm.... chocolate chip cookie dough!

So today was a pretty great day overall.
Camp was pretty fun. For the last 2 classes we did a logic puzzle game with them. We split them into 5 teams -- one first grader and one second grader in each pair. And then we gave them 8 logic/word puzzles + 1 sudoku for the hell of it. We told them we hid a prize somewhere in the school, and that for every puzzle they completed they could get a clue about where the prize was hidden. Well, these puzzles were pretty hard for them. (See the end of the post for the puzzles) Think about it, the Friday, St. Ives, and plane crash ones are easy for us, because we learned the answers as children. But, they had never heard these, and they never have to "think outside the box." It was a killer for them!! One team was leading the whole time but then they got stuck on the Friday problem. It took them forever to solve it!! And we were giving them clues as well. Well, it turned out that another team actually finished first, and so they set off to find the hidden prize (which was 4 choco pies). Then the other team got the answer to the horse one and so they took off too. Well, then Anne and I abandoned our class to go watch the search. The team that had finished first was looking all over the back of the school (we hid it outside, inside a pile of building bricks) and the other team came down and looked for just a few minutes, and then spotted the pile of bricks and dug in and found them!! And then, the celebration was pretty ridiculous! He ran up to his friend in the other group that didn't get the choco pies and started grinding on him holding his choco pies up in the air and screaming around. Then he tore it open and took a big bite right in front of his face. It was pretty hysterical. Then he gave bites to the other members in the "losing" group but didn't offer one to his friend. I guess later he did offer, but the friend didn't accept. I guess his pride was hurt!!! But oh man, the boys had to work so hard for those choco pies. It was a really good challenge for them!! I think I might do this for some of my classes next semester.

After dinner tonight, Anne and I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. After we got the first cookie sheet in the oven, we ate the second half of the cookie dough, hah! It was pretty amazing. (And I also feel pretty sick from it, but it was totally worth it!!! :-) )

I can't believe camp is over tomorrow. The two weeks went incredibly fast. I think having the camp right in the middle of the day really made me feel like I had hardly any free time.

=====================================================
LOGIC PUZZLES:

Find the name of two countries in this sentence by looking at the letters. You do not need to change the order.

Example: Vladimir and Olga are Soviet names.

    Answer: Iran and Vietnam

Question: The king and queen eat breakfast and lunch in a fine palace.

What 2 countries names can you find in this sentence?

(Einstein invented this one!) A man encountered a bear in a wasteland. There was nobody else there. Both were frightened and ran away, the man to the north, the bear to the west. Suddenly the fellow stopped, aimed his gun to the south and shot the bear. What color was the bear?

As I was going to Saint Ives, I crossed the path of seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats, and every cat had seven kittens. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives—how many were going to Saint Ives?

A man rode into the town on Friday, stayed 3 days, and left the town on Friday. How is this possible?

A plane crashed on the border of North and South Korea. Where are the survivors buried?



    I am around long before dawn.

    But by lunch I am usually gone.

    You can see me summer, fall, and spring.

    I like to get on everything.

    But when winter winds start to blow;

    Burr, then it's time for me to go!

    What am I?

Put the people in the order they finished (who was first, , who was last?)
Terry Tipton finished after Larry Limperton and Brian Blessed, but before Michael Miller. Paul Peterson finished before David Dickens and Larry Limperton. Simon Stevens finished after Paul Peterson and before John Jacks and Harry Hill. Kenny Kirkpatrick finished after Paul Peterson, Michael Miller and Terry Tipton. Larry Limperton finished after Brian Blessed and David Dickens, but before John Jacks and Michael Miller. Michael Miller finished after Simon Stevens and Brian Blessed. Brian Blessed finished before John Jacks, Michael Miller and Paul Peterson. David Dickens finished before Kenny Kirkpatrick and Terry Tipton, but after Simon Stevens. John Jacks finished before Kenny Kirkpatrick, Terry Tipton and Michael Miller, but after Paul Peterson and David Dickens. Harry Hill finished before Michael Miller but after Larry Limperton, John Jacks and Terry Tipton.


Match the girls names to their hair color and dress color.
At the local nursery school, I was talking to my daughter's friends and noticed a number of things. Jessica has mousey colored hair and the girl with black hair was wearing a green dress. Lucy is not blonde and Lauren does not have brown hair, Chloe was wearing a blue dress. The blonde girl was not wearing red and Lauren was not wearing green. I can't remember which girl was wearing a yellow dress. Can you determine the colors of the girl's dresses and their hair?

No comments: