Friday, January 23, 2009

Hello to 5 WEEKS of vacation!!

So today was the last day of English camp. We had a pretty good last day. We started off with a short story like always (today was 3 Little Pigs -- the original version and then another by Roald Dahl), but then we played games with them. They especially liked the game where one person is in the middle of the circle (one less chair than enough) and they say "If you...... then stand up" and if that sentence applies to you, then you have to switch chairs. And then someone else doesn't get a chair. They also liked "Honey if you love me won't you please please smile." Then we got the nice copies of the magazine they had been working on for 2 weeks and handed them out. I think they felt really proud of their work. I know I did! Then we got pizza for them. I think they really had a good time this camp. We gave them surveys today, asking if they thought their English improved during camp, what was the most/least helpful activity?, what was the most/least fun?, what would you improve for next year? All of them said their English improved at least a little. They really liked the logic puzzles we did with them yesterday and the school magazine. Some loved the pop songs we did, and some thought it wasn't helpful. Same with the short stories. They all agreed that they didn't like reading the books. (I completely agree with them! Those books were not the right level or topic.)

Tonight my host family gave me money for the Lunar New Year holiday. It is common to give money to your children, so they gave me 100,000 won. (~$80) I completely wasn't expecting it! And, it was a lucky coincidence, but I finished the afghan last night that I meant to give them for Christmas. Well, I told them today it was a gift for them, so I think it was convenient for the holiday.

Double J, my favorite student from camp, has been texting me tonight. I am trying to get him to apply to colleges in the US. He is worried about $$, but I think that many small liberal arts schools really want foreign students, so he should be able to get a decent scholarship.

If you are wearing blue slippers, stand up!
Honey if you love me, won't you please please smile? Come on Jun Yeong!!!
Yangki close up.
Hak Kon was tired today. Awwww....
The afghan I made for my host family!!! :-)

No comments: