Sunday, January 18, 2009

YEOSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU & Noraebang w/ my students <3

So, I pretty much had a great weekend!! Friday night Anne and I took the 2nd graders in the English camp out for dinner and noraebang. They took me to the downtown area that I am not so familiar with and showed me this delicious (and cheap) restaurant where I can get pork cutlets that are the size of the plate as well as bokgumbap (fried rice)!! YAY! I already went back today for lunch and will probably be going back often. After dinner Anne and I bought them all an ice cream cone at Lotteria. The ice cream is only $0.50 there, and so Anne and I joked that the bill of $4 was soooo expensive. And then all the students felt really bad, because they thought we were serious!! But we said, no, it's only a joke. HAH. And then we went NORAEBANG-ing (karaoke) with them!! It was AMAZING. We paid for the first hour, and then they bought a second hour because we were having so much fun!! Anne and I did everything from TLC No Scrubs to YMCA to Sexy Back. And the boys did Eminem Lose Yourself, Kelly Clarkson, and lots of great Korean songs! We had an awesome time with them, and I'm hoping even though I won't actually be teaching them next semester, hopefully we can go out at least one more time!

Eating with the boys: Dae Hyun, ???, Jun-yeong, ???, Double J, me & Anne
Dae Hyun and Double J rapping Lose Yourself
Jun Yeong and Dae Hyun
Dae Hyun was all about the dancing
Us with the boys towards the end of the night.

After saying goodnight to the boys (they had school the next day.... a Saturday during their winter "vacation!" ugh!!) we met up with John & Bret, 2 of Anne's friends living in Busan for 8 weeks doing an internship in naval architecture. And Anne's host sister, Yoo Min, came to Suncheon as well. Since I have been gone so much on weekends, I had never gone out in Suncheon before. But, I knew where the night clubs were, and that another ETA had been to them. So, I figured we'd head to that part of town and find a bar and maybe hit up a night club. Well, we didn't have great luck finding bars there, but we finally found one that was more of a sit down place. Often for bars here, you get a table and you have to order some sort of food (appetizer usually) along with your drinks. After talking and eating/drinking for a bit, we headed over to the night clubs at midnight. The first one we tried ended up being a 30+ club. They didn't realize we weren't old enough, but questioned Yoo Min about her age. Thank goodness we didn't go in there.... So we crossed the street to go into the other one. It was one of the weirdest clubs I have ever been in. They had live entertainers -- a male stripper, a dude dancing around in black leather chaps with sparks shooting off his arms, and a "band" wearing lime green suit coats and only lip singing and fake playing their instruments. Pretty ridiculous. And on the dance floor, everyone basically just stood there. It was expensive, smokey, and I didn't have too much fun. Also, they have tons of rooms around the edge of the club. I thought these must be hook up rooms. Well, actually, they are for guys who pay like $1000 a night to sit in there, and then the club workers go and get girls from the dance floor and pull them into the rooms and they just "talk". Hrm.... Anyway, I went back home around 1:30. I had told my host parents I would be late, and not to wait up on me. But, when I got back both my room light was on, and I could see light from their room pouring through the crack under their closed door. So, basically they were waiting up for me. I went to bed and read for a bit, and heard them get up around 2am. They must have been doing hourly checks to see if I was back.... *sigh*

Saturday when we got up and around we all drove to Yeosu in John & Bret's car. Yeosu is a big port and ship building city, about 45 minutes south of Suncheon. We went to Odongdo island and walked around in the botanical gardens, saw the dragon cave, and went up in the lighthouse. Then we went back to our hotel and all took a nap and watched tv. Around 6pm we roused ourselves for dinner. We went to get samgyepsal (korean style bacon) and teach the boys about korean grill restaurants. It was quite delicious!! After dinner we made a stop at a convenience store to pick up some soju and snacks for a fun night ahead. We played drinking games back in the hotel room and had a great time. Between the 5 of us, we made it through 9 bottles of soju that night -- I guess we were having a pretty good time! But we all crashed around midnight. The next morning we slept in and noticed it was rainy and dreary outside. We drove back to suncheon, got lunch and patbingsu, and then the 3 of them headed off back to Gwangju and Busan.
Yeosu
Yeosu
Yeosu -- Dragon Cave
Anne tried to pour our soju, but was too clutsy or tipsy to do it!
YooMin looking super cute! 7 bottles of soju + 2 from dinner = 9 bottles for 5 people, uhhh yeah.
Anne, John, and Bret
Bret trying to explain "the shocker" to YooMin..... oh yes, he did that
Me wit mah OREOS!

After YooMin and the boys left Anne and I watched last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy on my computer, then got her checked back into her hotel, and now I'm just going to veg the rest of the night. Movie + knitting + reading == yay! Perfect for a dreary, rainy day like today. (But it's actually quite nice because it's pretty warm out -- must be in the 40s!)

PS--
So I found that someone (aka probably Jun-ho) had opened my giant bag of marshmallows that cost me an arm and a leg. I had bought it at Costco to make rice crispies with. First off, its in my cabinet where I keep all my food, so no one should have been getting into it. Second, it wasn't opened, so why would he possibly think he had the right to open it? And third, we all know that marshmallows get hard once the bag is open. And fresh marshmallows make better rice crispies. Needless to say, I'm a bit pissed off about this. It makes me want to stop baking things to share with my family. I'm not even going to bother bringing it up to the parents, because last time I did, they just laughed it off like it was no big deal. Seriously, they have no discipline here. The boys never listen to anything the mom tells them, and the dad doesn't parent them at all. I'm definitely going to make sure my future children are disciplined, bc this is just nanners.

No comments: