Wednesday, January 28, 2009
To be or not to be: left-handed
So I found out tonight that Jun-ho is actually left handed, but that his parents force him to use his right hand. Because "in Korean society it is much harder to be left-handed", according to my host dad. He asked if it was the same in America. No, I told him, you can be whatever hand is natural to you. When I asked why it was more difficult to be left-handed in Korea, the only thing he told me is that in the military they only make rifles for right handed people. All males must do a 2 year mandatory military service, so if they are left handed, it would be much harder for them to use the rifle. Furthermore, if they are a bad shot, they will be punished. So pretty much, all Korean children are forced to use their right hand because the guns are all right handed. (This is even funnier to me now, because Ike just told me that all weapons are ambi-dextrous anyway, HAHAH!) Oh, Korea, and being stuck in your ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment