Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yay for American cooking!! (or not)

So this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work, my host mom told me that today was the memorial day for her father, aka the anniversary of his death, and that she and Jun-eun would be going over to visit her hometown this morning and that my host dad and Jun-ho would be going over after school, and that they would be back late tonight. Then she said "So, I will prepare dinner for you and Anne." And I said that , no no, we can prepare it ourselves so it is no problem for her. She said OK. So then Anne and I spent all day thinking about what we wanted to cook for ourselves. We decided on spaghetti and garlic bread with banana milk shakes. So after work we went to HomePlus to buy our groceries and walked back to my apartment. Well, right as we were walking into the building, my host dad and Jun-ho were walking out. He says "My wife prepared dinner for you, so enjoy!" And I said I told her this morning that we would prepare it, and showed him the bag of groceries we had just boughten. ARGH, so frustrating. He had a look of disappointment on his face and basically said "well, ok" and left. I felt very frustrated and then guilty. I mean, after all I told her this morning not to make us dinner and she said ok. Many Koreans live at home until they are married, so no one here believes that we know how to take care of ourselves -- I mean, I have lived away from home the majority of the past 4.5 years for college anyway. I have repeatedly told them I know how to cook, but they just can't get it through their heads. So anyway, I left the food she prepared on the stove, and we made some delicious garlic bread and spaghetti. Like Ike said, I guess the only way they will learn 1. to take me seriously and 2. that I can take care of myself is by me not bending to their will.

I guess I am going through a phase where it is really hard for me to deal with living with a host family. They are very kind people, just they don't know how to treat me like an adult. I thought I would have no problems living with a host family this year, as I did it both in Spain and Argentina, but I guess both of those places were only for about 3.5 months, now that I'm around 6.5 months I guess I am reaching my maximum amount of time. If it were an option for us to have our own apartment after the first 6 months, I would seriously consider it. I just really want my freedom back!!! But, I'll survive, don't worry.

On a side note, a note from English camp today:
We read a bit of Obama's Inauguration speech today and talked about him a little bit. One student asked me "Teacher, is it ok to say black people for black people?" I asked "Do you mean is it ok to call them black people?" Yes, that is what he meant. I told him that yes, black was ok or African-American was also ok. I thought that was cute of him, as often times my students seem to be very racist against black people.

No comments: