Monday, October 27, 2008

Marathon Day!!

This morning was the Suncheon Annual Marathon. I actually ran the 5k part with my host family (out of the 5 of us, Jun-ho was first at 29:19, then Jun-eun, then the host father, then me at 34:46, then my host mom just a few seconds behind me). There were 2000 people just in the 5k race alone! It felt so good after the race! I think I will have to start running more often. I think I ran over half of the distance, so I am very proud of myself. After the race we got free food and snacks and even a nice medal! Woo! The metal says Berlin Olympics 1936, because that year someone from Suncheon ran in the marathon race and placed 3rd, so I guess this annual race is in honor of him. After the race I got a free leg massage. My host father told me that only blind people are allowed to be masseuses in Korea, and the government guarantees them that job. I think that is a really good idea! So a blind lady massaged my legs. Also, I found out that in the sports complex where the marathon started, which is a 10 min walk from our apartment, there is a swimming pool! So I asked my host family to find out the schedule for lap swimming... I would love to start that back up! It'd be great exercise, especially for the winter!

The rest of the day I lounged around and worked on plans for my trip to China with Ike. Hopefully we'll be getting tickets within a week. I also ordered myself a new laptop today! My parents will bring it over in December when they come. I meant to make chocolate chip cookies today, but never got around to it. My body is pretty achy! :-P

Nagan Folk Village (yesterday):



Suncheon Marathon. Host fam on the way there. Me at the halfway point of the 5k.
After finishing! Woo!

1 comment:

cglinsma said...

Both of your folks are coming to visit you? That is great!!! I'm still playing the waiting game with my tickets. I'm hoping that the prices drop a bit.