Friday, October 10, 2008

Short and sweet

It's late and I'm tired, so I'll keep this short and sweet.

I started a new lesson today about US Geography & landscapes. It turned out better than I expected! I think the kids actually enjoyed it. Midterms start a week from today and they are all SUPER exhausted from studying for them -- they have so little energy in class. Anyway, the lesson involved 24 US trivia questions. Here are some funny answers I got:

How many states are in the US? 51, 56, etc
What is the population of the US? 3 billion
What state is Chicago in? basketball team
When was the US independence from Britain? 1945, 1812, etc
What does DC mean? District Court, discount
What state is Niagara Falls in? Canada

I mean, come on, they could recognize a picture of Times Square, but didn't know there are 50 states in the US? Even after we sang Wakko from Animaniac's 50 states & capitols song... deductive skills points = 0.

My heart melted when one of my students told me "Have a good weekend" after class -- usually I only get goodbye and see you later!

I had some random 15 year old (so 13 in US age) boy sit by me on the bus and totally flirt with me on the way home from school. ADORABLE. If only my students' English was as good as his. I let his listen to Black Eyed Peas with me on my iPod.

I got off the bus early to drop all my postcards and my PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT (woot woot!) off at the post office. There a bunch of middle school girls all smiled and waved and said hello to me. Yay for people starting to randomly say hi to me!

Then I walked the 35 min walk home. Outside my apartment building another little girl stared at me for awhile then got a huge smile and waved and said hello also. I guess something about me looked approachable today? Who knows!

Tonight I just vegged out -- watched the new episodes of Project Runway, Grey's Anatomy, and remembered my addiction to South Park and Family Guy, so watched the newest SP episode. I'll have to catch up on those, especially since PR only has one episode left in the season. **tear**

Anyway, off to bed now! Happy FRIDAY!

No comments: