Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jack of all Trades

So I started off this morning with a hip hop practice with my 3 awesome students who are doing the awesome hip hop dance with me! It had been awhile since our last practice (due to me traveling and schedule changes), and I forgot how much fun I have with these guys! Anyway, there is a part towards the end of the song where the female singer does a 20 second rap section. The boys surprised me today and told me that I should sing that part!! And they will do "back up dance" while I sing. OMG. So not only am I going to make a fool out of myself in front of the entire school by doing hip hop, now I will be rapping as Fergie as well. How cool am I?

Classes today were meh. Many students were not prepared for their presentations. The first 10 students in my last class weren't prepared at all. Everyone who wasn't ready I took off 5 points and they have to do it next week (I planned on 2 weeks of presentations anyway).

I went swimming after school and it wasn't that great. It was really crowded because swimming lessons are at 5pm which is when I went today (and will want to be going most days after I start going more regularly next week). Anyway, there was only one lane open for the rest of us, and there were 8 of us crammed in there, swimming on top of each other. And let me re-iterate the severe lacking of swimming etiquette here in Korea. If they are slow, they just swim right up the middle of the lane, instead of staying to the right side so you can be passed. GAH! This pisses me off. And to make matters worse, my breathing was way off tonight for some reason. Oh, but afterwards in the shower room it was all better -- the little girls from swimming lessons were staring at me, the foreigner. This is common, except it's a little creepy when you are naked in the shower....

Today Jun-eon lost a tooth!! I explained to him (with the help of lots of drawings) about the Tooth Fairy in America, and he explained to me (with lots of drawings) about the old Korean tradition. They used to throw their tooth up on the roof and pray that a bird would take it away. (lame, right?) But now they no longer do that -- probably because everyone lives in apartment buildings so you can't really get your tooth up on the roof. Oh, Korea! Anyway, I did the whole put-the-tooth-in-a-hankey thing tonight (at least that's what my family does) to put it under your pillow. Then I folded a $1 bill into a little pocket and stuck a quarter inside. I also wrote a little note and signed it "The Tooth Fairy" and so I'm going to try to be all sneaky in the morning before he wakes up and trade the tooth for the money. I'll probably fail, but it will still be fun! :-)

Now time for some free reading before bed. Ciao everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bethany, it is very fun and entertaining to read your blog especially as a korean-american! it is interesting to read about korea from a non-korean's perspective. i understand that this is more like a travel journal of sorts for your thoughts on your adventure, so i try to take things with a grain of salt and remind myself that it is your opinion. however, i do find myself cringing once in awhile when you make comments like "lame" "koreans are all about saving face" and other generalizations. please don't take this as a slam on your blog - almost all the time i enjoy reading it!

Bethany said...

Thanks for your comment. Obviously no country is full of perfect citizens -- Korean included. There are some stupid/rude people here, just like in America! Sometimes they really piss me off or make me hae a bad day. But thankfully both places have many more good/kind people, making most days good days! I really do love Korea, but that doesn't mean that there aren't bad moments here and there, or parts of the culture that I COMPLETELY disagree with/am appalled by/don't understand. But America is the same way -- I don't like everything about our culture either. I think it's good to look at your own and other cultures with a critical eye and see both the good and the bad.