Friday, September 26, 2008

And in comes the weekend!

Today was a pretty good/easy Friday overall, thankfully. School started off strangely again (when does school not start off strangely?) -- I came to my desk in the teacher's room and there was a post-it note from one of the teachers telling me to come to his desk as soon as I arrived at school -- there is something you will be amazed by. Wow, I thought, this must be good! Maybe he got me a seat on a flight to Japan... **cross my fingers**. It turns out, all he wanted to "teach" me was how to use the Korean version of google (naver) to go to a city hall's website. Well, I had already figured out that it was www.city name.go.kr long ago on my own. Yet he insisted on showing me all this stuff. Wow, big surprise, right? I was indeed amazed.... hah.

Classes went well today!!! YAY! Finally. It had been a long week teaching my directions lesson. Today I started my lesson on slang -- I taught them words like "What's up?" "See you later, alligator." "That's how I roll." and "This sucks." Then we played a speed game where everyone had a card that said:
When someone says: ______
You say: ______
So they raced through the new vocab words. Each class did it 3 times to try to get faster. The first run usually took about 3.5 minutes to get through the 30 or so words, because students were generally still a bit confused, or the sleepers in class hadn't figured out we were doing a competition! I was really impressed by my last class, which managed to be the only one to be under 1 minute. On their 3rd try they got it to 0:45! Yay!! I had to teach my 2nd class in a different classroom because another English teacher wanted to borrow my room. It was ok -- just very different -- had a TV instead of a projector, the students were in desks instead of at tables of 5. Good thing I'm organized and remembered to bring everything I needed with me -- basket of journals, spray bottle, cards for the game, timer, flash drive, other papers.

I left school around 2:30 and it was absolutely beautiful. Today was actually chilly this morning -- it was cold in my room when I woke up. I wore jeans and a sweater and sweater dress to school today and could have even had a jacket on top of that in the morning. Walking to the bus in the afternoon was absolutely gorgeous -- the air was so crisp. It made me wish the bus would never come, and I could just sit at hte bus stop reading all day! :-) But I did take the bus when it came :-) -- bought some kimbap (sushi) for my lunch tomorrow since I'll be on the bus for quite awhile -- aka 5 hours.

Tonight I watched the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy -- yay! So glad the new season has started. I also watched the newest episode of Project Runway this morning while I was getting ready. Thank goodness I can stream the TV shows over here! It puts me in such a good mood when I can watch my fav shows. :-D

Tonight my host father took me to reserve my bus ticket for tomorrow. I am really only nervous about the 2nd leg of the journey to the festival, and so I had asked him repeatedly if we could reserve both tickets from this station or only one? And he kept telling me we could buy both. Well, obviously he didn't understand because we only bought the ticket for the first leg of the journey, and when I asked about the second, he told me I would buy it where I switched buses. So, it was unneccesary for us to buy the ticket in advance tonight, because I know there will be room on the bus -- it leaves at 7:30 after all! :-P Oh well. Because of this, we didn't get to eat dinner until 8pm (he didn't get home from work until 7:15, and then he took me to the wrong bus terminal) -- so I was starving! It was good though -- Korean meat with raw garlic, raw onions, and lettuce. Yummy! :-) I love how you eat meat here -- wrap everything in lettuce and shove it all in your mouth in one big bite. Anyway, time for me to be getting to bed early tonight -- I'm getting up at 6:15 tomorrow! I can sleep on the bus I suppose... ;-)

Happy weekend everyone! :-D I'll have tons of pictures I'm sure when I get back from the Mask Festival Sunday night.

No comments: