Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A failed experiment

Well, I taught 3 classes today and they went better than yesterday. The classes I taught today had a much better attitude, which always helps! :-) I finished my lesson plan about secrets -- I'm a little worried about if it will work or not, but I think it hopefully will be fun and interesting if they students will participate. I left school around 3:30 but had an eventful ride home. I had noticed that where I get off to switch buses is actually one stop past where the two buses cross paths. So today I got off one stop earlier to see if I could catch my 2nd bus there (bc I swear when I was on the 2nd bus it has stopped at that stop before). Anyway, so I got off one stop earlier. Well, I waited forever (aka 15 min or so) and then I was like, well, bus 100 must not stop here. So, I started walking the 2 blocks to the other bus stop. As soon as I start walking, I see bus 100 coming, so I start running back to my bus stop, but then bus 100 didn't stop there!! By this time I did not feel like walking to the other bus stop, waiting another 20 min for the next bus 100. Especially since it was soooo hot out this afternoon! So, I decided to hail a cab. Well, the first one that started to pull over to pick me up almost got rear-ended by a huge semi that laid on the horn forever. I was so shocked I stepped back from the curb and I guess the taxi just drove on. Finally another one came and picked me up.

Anyway, made it home by 4:45. Finally!! At 5 I decided to treat myself to some pastries from Tous Les Jours, a french bakery chain here. It was amazing! And, I finished my book (Collapse) today, so I started a new one: Watership Down, recommended by Ike. So far it is super easy to read, but seems a little weird. Granted, I am only 30 or so pages in, but it is definitely science fiction, because rabbits are the main characters! Anyway, should be good and fun to read.

Tonight I ate lots of garlic!! I love eating garlic here, but my mouth is always garlic-y! Good thing Ike is in another country!! :-D Anyway, my host family apparently thought garlic was a Korean thing, because they asked if I had ever eaten it before coming here. I explained it is common in America too! And they were shocked. Then my host father continued to tell me that in Japan they used to not eat garlic, only the king's family ate it. And that was because the Japanese king's family "came from Korea". Oh, the Korea vs. Japan competition continues. I will never get over how much these 2 countries compete/make up things about each other. They both claim that their own people settled the other country (aka, Japanese claim that Korea was settled by Japan, while the Koreans claim that Koreans settled Japan). Ay yi yi.

"Raw garlic is used by some to treat the symptoms of acne and there is some evidence that it can assist in managing high cholesterol levels. It can even be effective as a natural mosquito repellent....Modern science has shown that garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic, albeit broad-spectrum rather than targeted. The body does not appear to build up resistance to the garlic, so its positive health benefits continue over time....Raw garlic is very strong, so eating too much could produce problems, for example irritation of or even damage to the digestive tract."

After dinner I did some Korean studying (reviewed chps 3&4). Soon after my host brother and father went to play badminton in the park it started downpouring!! They came back soaking wet!!! :-D I laughed at them. They asked me to go with them, and I almost said yes, but then I decided to stay home and study -- good thing!! ^^

Pan chan (aka side dishes) at Korean restaurant the other night celebrating my host mom's mom's bday!
Flowers I pass on my walk from school to the bus stop.
Corn growing in a garden downtown -- I pass it on my walk to the bus stop.
Oh, the lack of smiling in Korean photos!! Jun-eun rushed to show me his water lilly finally bloomed today!
Jun-ho and his school project -- its a pencil holder made from milk cartons! I think it's cute and secretly want one! :-D

Korean words of the day -- my younger host brother got a little carried away teaching me new words tonight.
돼지고기=pork
닭고기=chicken
소고기=쇠고기=beef
물고기=fish...... . 를잡다=catch.
오리고기=duck
마늘=garlic
당근=carrot
주물럭=pork dish we had tonight.

동전=coin
돈=money

자동차=car......타다(ride in), 운전하다=몬다=drive
사진=picture 찍다
유렁,귀신 =zombie

No comments: