I gave out my Chuseok gifts at school today and everyone was so shocked to get them! The Fulbright program made it seem like we had to give them to our co-teacher/principal/VP, but it seems more like it was completely unnecessary but a nice gesture. Anyway, it was such a good feeling to see their joy! I gave the secretary a pack of snickers-- she said her son will enjoy them. I hope she eats some herself -- women here are so concerned about what they eat! When I gave the pistachios to the Principal, he told me that the chocolate I gave him before was delicious and that he wears the Iowa t-shirt all the time! ^^ I wish I could see him wearing it! Mrs. Song was shocked that I gave her something and felt bad that she didn't give me anything in return. I had hoped to get at least 1 small gift for Chuseok, but it's ok. I think people typically give gifts to their seniors, and I'm the youngest teacher at school, so, I shouldn't really expect much.
I got home from school around 3:30 and ended up reading a bit, and then passing out on my bed. I only got 6 hours of sleep last night, so I was a bit tired. For dinner we had red bean "stew". It was an interesting dish -- pretty much bigger noodles in a red bean thick liquid/thin paste. Not too bad!! I honestly think I am still full from all the food I ate last night. ^^
After dinner I played Uno with my older host brother, showed my host family the pictures my Aunt Linda sent me (they were beautiful -- from Southern Utah!! And adorable pics of their new pup). My host family really enjoyed seeing them!! And then I skyped with my Great Aunt Marie -- she is such a world travelor, I must get it from her! She has great insights and advice. :-) She will actually be spending about 2 months in Haiti (where she helps run a medical lab that she herself started) and then back in the States for a couple days, and then head off to Indonesia and Singapore for a 3 week vacation in December. It would be great if I could go visit her there, but I doubt I'll be able to, because I think my winter break doesn't start until Dec 22. But who knows, the schedule here is always full of surprises for me!! Anyway, I hope when I am 80 I am still traveling the world like her -- it's pretty incredible!!!
Now I've packed my bags for the weekend. I'm going with my host family to visit my host father's parents' house in the Jeonambuk province (the province right to the north of my province) on Saturday and Sunday. (We're spending the night there.) I'm planning on doing lots of free-reading, and sleeping, and hiking!! Hopefully it will be relaxing. But, I will be away from internet until Sunday afternoon.
Please pray for those already and soon to be affected by hurricane Ike and the previous hurricanes. It sounds like it's pretty scary right now in the Gulf! Also, please continue to pray for my father and mother! Dad has been showing improvement every day, and has a doctor's appointment today, so I will update you when we know more. God bless!! Have a great weekend!
A few more pics from my lesson on Secrets:

No comments:
Post a Comment