Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Looks like this whole week will be less than great ...

So today wasn't that great of a day at school either. It's already past my bedtime, so I will keep this brief. A few highlights:

1. My crotchless pantyhose worked pretty well for the morning, but then in the afternoon they started to roll down! One even rolled all the way down to my knee while I was going up the stairs and all I could do was just pray that it wouldn't continue on down to my ankle until I made it safely inside my classroom! :-P

2. The connection from my classroom computer to my speakers and projects mysteriously didn't work today. Yeah, it was fun teaching about directions without having a big map on the projector to point at.

3. My old desk computer was too slow, so they decided to give me a new computer. But, they forgot to install "Cool Messenger" which is basically the only means of communication between teachers -- where all the announcements are put. And they didn't install the printer on my computer, so I can't print either. Yeah, they had to call in a technician for this and it still didn't work when I left school.

4. Today was apparently "ask Bethany for help day" because I had to read 3 more students' speeches for the speech contest. First off, I was told there were 3 students competing (1 from each of the 3 grades). Now there are apparently 6. Their speeches aren't that long (1.5 pages each) but with their low level of English, you can imagine how many incorrect words and awkward sentences they have! It takes awhile to figure out how to re-write this. Especially when you have the "bullshitting" factor thrown in for good measure. I mean, some of these students are writing coherent thoughts, but others are just going round and round in circles saying the same thing over but in a more ridiculous way each time. Yeah, good times. ^^ I did laugh when one mentioned something about a "Money Eating Hippo" -- this is a speech about a new university opening in their town and why students should attend. I also met one on one with "Lucky" to help him practice his speech. I really do enjoy the one-on-one time. Too bad I have classes of 35.

5. I also had to read some "Dear Abby" letters and responses for one of my co-teachers classes next week that will be videotaped. She's not comfortable with her own pronunciation (wtf? you are an English teacher -- either get better or get over it) so wanted to record my voice for the listening activity instead of her just reading it. Also, she's thinking of using my classroom for the videotaped class even tho I have class in there, so I guess she just wants to cancel my class? Anyway, this of course took half an hour.

On the brighter side...

1. We had bibimbap today for lunch!! YUM! One of my fav lunches at school (a big bowl with rice and various veggies that you mix all together)

2. I finished reading The Sushi Economy today. And I started a new book: I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. I'm borrowing it from Anne.

3. I wasn't sore this morning from ballet class -- surprising!! But sure enough, as the day went on, I started to feel the ache settling in in my legs and buttox... but it's a good kind of sore! I know I got a good workout!

4. The weather seems to be cooling down a bit, but today was cloudy and humid and I swore it was going to start pouring on me on the way home.

5. Hopefully soon I'll be booking my plane ticket to Japan for the 3rd weekend in October. I have the Fri and Mon off for midterms, so it will be a short trip, but I'm sure it will be worth it to see Ike! <3

That's all for now! Have a great Tuesday.

No comments: