Thursday, September 25, 2008

What did the Korean travel agent say to Bethany? "PUMP FAKE!"

So, my day started off with some bad news: turns out before the travel agent actually booked my seat, someone else beat them to it. And then the plane was magically full -- leaving me without a reservation. "But don't worry! You're on the waiting list." Whatever that means. So, basically I spoke too soon and chances are I won't be making it to Japan over my midterm break.... What a way to start off my day, right?

My classes went well today also!! My 3rd period was cancelled again due to more testing, and I cancelled my teachers' workshop 5th period due to my equipment not working. Turns out this afternoon they brought in another "expert" and they finally got my projector working again. Yay!! That means I can use my Power Point for the lesson on slang that I start tomorrow. Tomorrow will be interesting -- my 2nd class I'll be teaching in a different classroom because another English teacher wants my classroom that period. Ummmm, ok? And it doesn't have a projector screen, but it has a TV. Hopefully that will work out ok and they'll be able to see my PPT.

On the way home I noticed it is really starting to feel like Fall! I could have used a jacket on my walk to the bus stop. Tomorrow is a high of 63, according to my weather forecast (which isn't always the most accurate). The Fall weather made me want to put on jeans and a sweatshirt and go to a football game! Also, I had a super nice bus driver: when I transferred my bus, I was walking over the overpass and I saw my connecting bus pulling up!! I started running and ran down the steps, and the bus driver waited JUST FOR ME!!! I got on the bus and thanked him and he smiled at me. Yay! :-) And to make things even better, my book is sooo good!!

I had my first traditional Korean dance class tonight... it was awesome but I looked like a clown. Pretty much they turned on the music and just started practicing all these dances they already knew, but that I had no clue about. Basically everything is really subtle movements, so I had to try to keep one eye on each of these body parts simultaneously (aka, impossible): toes, feet, hands, arms, shoulders, head, back, legs, and they wear a skirt -- which adds a whole new set of complications. Add in some random fast turns and jumps in an overall slow dance style and you got yourself some goofy-lost-looking Bethany. Anyway, it's going to be cool if/when I get the hang of it!! There's lots of flexing the foot at the ball and lots of flipping the palms of the hands in/out or up/down and lots of pulsating of the body. Also, they tend to hold their hands in a different position: with the first and 2nd fingers out and the 3rd and 4th slightly curled in. Hopefully I'll take a video sometime.

After dance I had to wait about 20 minutes for the bus -- bummer -- and decided not to buy kimbap and hope my host mom would be ok feeding me. I'm glad she did because she gave me some awesome bibimbap-like stuff!! Yummy!! now to bed :-) Have a happy Thursday! (All you Grey's fans, the season premiere is tonight! Don't miss it -- I'm hoping I can find it online w/in a couple days...)

No comments: