After breakfast, my younger host brother barged into my room to deliver a yogurt drink to me. Not that uncommon, it's happened before. BUT... this time I was getting dressed for work! Uh oh! I was definitely sitting on my bed in nothing but my underwear and pajama tank top -- the best was his reaction! He shut his eyes immediately, and stood in my doorway with the door still open and his mouth frozen open (like he was screaming silently) for a good minute. Then he shut the door and ran away. A few minutes later, when I was fully clothed, I propped my door open again. But, he didn't come back. After a bit, he had to cross my room to get to the bathroom, and he made a big scene out of closing his eyes and covering them with his hand and stumbling around to the bathroom blindly. He did this back and forth several times!! Finally, he picked up the yogurt drink again, and brought it into my room, with his eyes still closed! I finally convinced him to open his eyes because I clearly wasn't sitting at my desk naked with the door open! :-) He said "Very very sorry!!!" And I of course told him it was ok. :-) Ahahaha! I think it was hilarious.
Today was my last day of teaching the lesson on "Secrets." I always feel like Wednesday is my Friday because I've finally finished teaching the same lesson 17 times!! ^^ Yay for that! Some funny things that happened at school: I had a student ask me what "SIS" meant (pointing to something I wrote in his notebook). I explained that it said 5/5, and that meant he had a perfect score!! ^^ So cute. On the freaky/not so cute side, one of the secrets I received today said "I have a Death Note" (referring to the anime, anyone get it besides Ike?). And then it had a picture of his Death Note with "Vittetoe" written in!! AHHHH!! Pretty much he wants me dead -- I hope in a kind/loving sort of way, right? Also, I played "Telephone" with 2 of my classes today at the end -- there were some funny answers! "It's sunny out today" turned into "I have a baby"!! And "My favorite colors are purple and green" turned into something like "I am manny man!" -- Who knows with these boys!?! They seemed to like playing the game. :-) Also, using Hangman to introduce the day's topic always gets their attention.
Today we had a teacher's workshop, and we watched another episode of Friends. I can tell the teachers aren't really reading the emails I send them with the attachments for our workshop (I send them the transcript of the FRIENDS episode we'll watch, and the other day the article we will discuss). Because today only 1 person showed up with the right materials! 2 of them brought the transcript from last week's episode of Friends, and another brought the article we are reading tomorrow. Oh, well, their bad. :-) Anyway, the episode we watched is from Season 10 -- "The one with the cake" and it's Emma's first birthday and Rachel orders this custom cake with the baby's face on it, and the cake is supposed to be shaped like a bunny. Well, it turns out the order got mixed up and she actually gets a penis-shaped cake with the baby's face on it!! Well, they don't say that it's a penis very clearly, so I made sure to explicitly say "The cake is shaped like a penis" while we were watching the episode. But, I guess they all thought it was shaped like a peanut!! So after it got done, they asked "So a cake shaped like a peanut isn't appropriate for a baby's birthday?" :D Heehee! And I said, no it was shaped like a penis. And then they were confused as to what that was and made me spell it!! And then they figured out what it was -- and were all just kind of like "hrmph." I think they missed the whole underlying story of the episode. Oops! Shoulda read my email and the transcript, right? :-P
So tonight for dinner we didn't eat until 7:45!!! I was starving and about ready to eat my big toe instead. Anyway, we had pork loin and it was pretty delicious! It was just boiled, but then we ate it with lettuce and chili paste and raw onions like Koreans always eat their meat, and it was good. Granted, not as good as the way mom prepares pork loin, but the meat quality itself was decent!! I won't complain! Anyway, this apparently prompted my host father into telling me that on Jeju island, there are pigs that are fed human "dung" (why would he use this word instead of poop? I said "poop" and he seemed to not understand the word!!). Anyway, it is very rare that the pigs are fed that way now, so the meat from them is very expensive. I couldn't believe this! I said that in America, I would think the opposite -- people would prefer pigs fed from corn over human poop!! They would be disgusted and not want to pay money for it. Anyway, I guess Koreans think that human poop - fed pigs taste better and so it is a specialty here. Ok....!!
Tonight N Korea is playing S Korea in a soccer match as a preliminary for the World Cup.... which is in 2 years! I can't believe they already have preliminary games for something that is 2 years away! You could have completely new players by then....or the team could go bankrupt! So crazy!

No comments:
Post a Comment