Saturday, July 26, 2008

Academic Olympics

SoOoOoOo.....where do I begin about today?

I woke up around 10 and skyped for awhile, then I frantically put together the power point for my presentation about AMERICAN holidays for Academic Olympics for Camp F. I was pretty proud of it, to tell the truth! Anyhoo, at noon I went with Anne, Marina, and Jen to get pizza out the back gate!! Yay! Anne came to my room around 11 and informed me that we would not be eating lunch in the cafeteria (although I hear it was good -- real spaghetti!). We found an extremely cheap place out the back gate that had large pizzas for 6000 won ($6) so we got 2. Yum!! It hit the spot.

The camp was VERY VERY hectic. Unfortunately the format of the activity was pretty much horrible. We were to teach each of the 6 groups our lesson in 15 minutes and cover the material for the 30 questions to be asked in the quiz bowl at the end of the afternoon. Now, it doesn't take an ed major to figure out that you cannot make a lesson FUN and cover the material for 30 questions in 15 minutes in someone's second language. This stressed most of us out, and the kids were exhausted from being busy 24/7 the whole past week. We all got through the activity, but I would not call it a success. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate today as a 4 or 5. But the important thing is that we did get through it!

After the olympics everyone was pretty much exhausted. I showered and rested a bit then set out to get some food with Matt, Anne, and Laura Kn. We were looking for a "mexican" restaurant we had seen on one of our walks, but didn't end up finding it. Instead we stumbled into a little restaurant that sold chicken wings! (Most restaurants here have only 1-2 different kinds of food on the menu, not a whole variety of options like you might expect) We got the "sauce" ones and the "fried" ones. The man's English was surprisingly good for being such a small, non-touristy restaurant. They were very kind to us, and the food was AMAZING! ^_^ It hit the spot. What hit the spot even more was Baskin Robbins afterwards!! I got pistachio almond...yum yum! I hope I am in a relatively rural city that doesn't have all these tempting places to go get ice cream -- I really need to cut it out! :-)

Since it is rainy here (although it's not constantly downpouring like before), I definitely didn't feel like going back out tonight. A few of us watched the 2nd episode of the new season of Project Runway and then started a movie. We didn't finish it because we were all falling asleep, so now to bed I shall go. I have a busy day tomorrow-- maybe church if I can find one, LOTS of studying, and prepping for my farm lesson I am teaching on Monday!

Have a great day everyone!
The pizza we had for lunch came with mini forks! yay!!
A view near the back gate of our university.
The powder next to the mustard is MSG apparently...straight up!

No comments: