Thursday, July 31, 2008

Third and final lesson for Camp F

Today language class was again overwhelming. I really need to study this weekend because I feel behind. We have learned SOO many verb tenses. When I think of how much we have learned in 4 weeks I can't believe it....especially comparing it to when I learned Spanish and how long it took us. And remember Korean is one of the 4 hardest languages for English speakers to learn!

Anyhoo, after language class and a hurried lunch, I taught a lesson called "Move your body" with Olga. We taught a "beginning" level class (which was actually quite advanced) some of the harder body parts: index finger, shin, arm pit, nostril, eyelashes, earlobe, etc. We then got them to use their body to dance! We did the Hokey Pokey, the Cha Cha Slide, and then ended the class by making a dance together with the class where each student came up with a move. It went really well over all, and I am so happy that my 3 first lessons ended on such a positive note before I move to my actual school. It's hard for me to realize that the next time I'm teaching it will be all HS boys!!! O_O

Anyway, I am feeling much more positive about my placement now. I hear the southern coast is beautiful. Chrisie and David (2 Knox alums that have done this program) both gave me lots of words of encouragement. Chrisie was also located in Yeosu, which seems to be pretty close to my town of Gwangyang. She said she loved the city! The people in the province are super nice and the landscape is beautiful. Also, I received an email from Bryan, the person who I will be replacing. He said he knows my host family and thinks I will get along with them well. I'm anxious to hear more from him (he's busy wrapping up his time here in Korea with traveling and what not, so will write more soon) For more info about my town, you can check out these websites (in English):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwangyang
http://english.gwangyang.go.kr/
http://wiki.galbijim.com/Gwangyang

My school also has a website, but it is mostly in Korean and the English section did not have anything too informative.

Tonight besides doing my Korean homework and somehow managing to not get much studying done, I went out for dinner with Matt & Anne (of course!) to a cheesy rice place that I didn't like much. Then I got teriyaki chicken on a stick! It was amazing. And of course to wrap it up, a baby ice cream cone from Lotteria (Korean's version of McD's) for $0.50. Tonight I went to a bible study at 9 and it was really pretty nice. Now I'm going to head to bed early tonight to catch up on my lack of sleep last night. (I stayed up late to watch Juno which I hadn't seen yet. I really liked it! And it cheered me up quite a bit.)

Goodnight and have a wonderful day everyone!

No comments: