Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I survived my first class!!

I had a great first day of teaching. I think it was very successful! I can tell experience is the real way to learn teaching -- I feel like I have learned a mountain just from one 45 minute class! The class was 12 students (8 boys, 4 super-sweet girls), and was supposedly the advanced level. They are very quiet, but I got them talking more by the end of class. Here are some pictures of me in the classroom:





I'm really glad I thought to have the other ETA in the room take pictures of me while I was teaching. Next time I might set up my camera somewhere and take a video of the class so I can see/hear myself.

We also got our 2nd Korean quiz back. I got 19/20 which I am very happy with! This quiz was much harder and many people did not "pass" (get at least 15 out of 20). They have to go to office hours and an extra class on Thursday nights. Again, I feel very good about getting this score! :-) It is crazy to think that I can now read some very basic Korean! I cannot believe how much I have learned in only 2 weeks. (Now if only I could find those damn Hangul stickers for my keyboard.... :-D)

Tonight I have been working on my next lesson plan, which is due Wednesday evening. I'm doing it about farms! It is for an intermediate level, and I am worried it might be too easy. However, since the students here seem to be very quiet, I think some easier activities where they get to actually speak up and move around the classroom are a good idea. So, we are singing Old Macdonald! :-D And I'm having them play a game where they make animal sounds, and also doing a farm adlib. If any of you (especially you teachers/ed majors) have any suggestions for me-- please pass them along! I know I still have a lot to learn. I am really looking forward to teaching this class! I've attached the lesson plan and handout below.

I also went out for pat-bing-su (that amazing fruit + ice cream dessert) with Anne tonight. It hit the spot! I also worked with Kenny on our plan for our "Academic Olympics" session we are doing on Saturday afternoon for the Camp F kids. We are teaching them about Japanese Holidays. Should be fun :-)

Busy, busy, as usual! Thanks to everyone who has sent me emails -- I'd love to hear from everyone how things are going.

==================================================

ETA Name and Number: Bethany Vittetoe, 70
CI Name: Lindsey Kiehn
Class level: I2 (higher intermediate)
Date: 7/28/08

Title of Lesson

Welcome to My Farm

Topic

Farm animals & crops

Objectives

  • Give students new farm vocabulary (animal & crop names)
  • Teach students animal sounds in English
  • Teach students products that come from each animal
  • Create a comfortable English-speaking environment
  • Get students up & moving around the classroom, and having FUN!

Materials

Laptop, Power Point, projector, Iowa postcards, internet connection, speakers, name card for each animal, handout(s) with adlib/old macdonald lyrics/animal pics

Hook

Self-introduction, using Iowa postcards. Show Welcome to our Farm book (on Power Point).

Vocabulary for Lesson

*Will likely already know words in italics

Farm, farmer, Iowa, Midwest, crops, barnyard animal, chores, field, tractor, combine, wagon, pen, cow, moo, leather, beef, hamburger, steak, milk, pig, oink, porkchop, bacon, ham, piglet, chicken, cluck, feathers, rooster, turkey, gobble gobble, eggs, chicken wings, sheep, baa, wool, horse, nay, duck, quack, dog, bow-wow, cotton, corn, rice, soybeans VERBS: clean, take care of, feed, plant, drive, grow

Guided Practice

Sing along: Old MacDonald
“Pen Pals” game
Adlib

Lesson Plan Outline

Intro/Hook (7-10 minutes)

Self-introduction, using Iowa postcards. Show Welcome to our Farm book (on Power Point).

Lesson (15 minutes)

Power Point about different farm animals, along with their sounds and products that come from them.
A few farm facts (?)
Crops and chores on the farm

Guided Practice (15 minutes)

Sing Old MacDonald (sing along with youtube video)
Pen Pal game: students are given an animal (2 of each animal in class) and have to find their “pal” by making the noise of that animal. Once they find their “pal” they go to their designated “pen” located somewhere in the classroom.
Adlib game about farm—time permitting
Time filler: mini quiz about farms – students raise hands for yes/no answer

Conclusion (5 minutes)

Students share their Adlibs with the class.

Evaluation/Reflection (post-lesson):
Was vocab too hard/easy?
How did timing work out?
Did students participate in the lesson? Was it fun?
Did technology work or take too much time?
Did students speak English?
Was the adlib too hard? Did students know verb/noun/adjective?


===================================================

Part of my handout:

(The rest of the handout includes pictures of 8 farm animals with spaces to write their noise and their name, and a place to write the list of words for the ad-lib)

Old MacDonald (song lyrics)

Old Macdonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on that farm he had some ___(animal)_____, E-I-E-I-O


With a _____(sound)____ here and a _____(sound)___ there
Here a _____(sound)____ there a _____(sound)____
Everywhere a _____(sound)____

Animals: Sounds:

Cows moo-moo

Chickens cluck-cluck

Sheep baa-baa

Pigs oink-oink

Ducks quack-quack

Farm Words:

farm, farmer, Iowa, Midwest, crops, barnyard animal, chores, field, tractor, combine, wagon, pen, cow, moo, leather, beef, hamburger, steak, milk, pig, oink, porkchop, bacon, ham, piglet, chicken, cluck, feathers, rooster, turkey, gobble gobble, eggs, chicken wings, sheep, baa, wool, horse, nay, duck, quack, dog, bow-wow, cotton, corn, rice, soybeans

VERBS: clean, take care of, feed, plant, drive, grow

Welcome to My Farm!!

We are always very busy on the farm. There are lots of chores to do everyday, like feed

the ___________, walk the ___________, and clean out the ___________. My farm is

(noun) (noun) (noun)

very pretty, there are lots of fields that grow ____________ and ___________. My

(noun) (noun)

favorite chore is to __________. I also think it is fun to ___________ with the pigs.

(verb) (verb)

Sometimes the farm gets very __________, but I still like to live there. My favorite

(adjective)

animal is the _________ because they are very __________. At night I like to relax and

(animal) (adjective)

watch the __________ until I fall asleep.

(noun)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Bethy! It looks like you are having so much fun! I'm so excited for you (and I think the farm lesson is a good idea)! Also, your hair is getting so long! (so is mine)

I'm going to try to keep up with the blog...we'll see if that happens!

(also, i'm up super early today because I just got back from Barcelona at like 10pm last night and I guess have jetlag. I haven't been up this early in years!)