Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Placement Day

So today we found out our placements, and I can't really hide the fact that I'm pretty disappointed in the location I got. (Not to mention shocked) BUT.... I'm sure once I get there I will really like it. Also, a big part of our experience will be our co-teacher and our host stay, so if I end up with great relationships with them, that will more than compensate for other issues.

So I will be located in Gwangyang, which is on the Southern coast of Korea pretty much right in the middle. It is an industrial port city with a large steel mill and a shipbuilding industry. The city is 138,000. I will be teaching at an all boys high school. The one thing I'm excited about is that I seem to be located right on an expressway and a railroad line so I think my transportation situation will be pretty good as far as more remote locations go. I'm sure I'll be traveling most weekends! I am also pretty remotely located, as far as being close to other ETAs goes. I am actually fine with this. I am excited that I am in a farming province.... 25% of the population is made of farmers, whereas the national average is 7%. However, I am frustrated that I am in an industrial city rather than a farming community. I am along the coast, so hopefully that will be beautiful despite the port. Also, I'm about a 3 hour bus ride away from Busan, which is where I will take the ferries to Japan to visit Ike.
They had us each put a post-it note with our name on it where we will be located. See the orange colors in the SW corner? I am the orange one that is the furthest east and south, all by myself! I put a red circle around it to help locate it.
After placements we went for Dakgalbi (a spicy chicken dish famous from this area) and patbingsu, which helped cheer me up a little. I am trying to keep a positive attitude despite the shock of getting absolutely none of my preferences fulfilled. I'm anxious to meet my host family and co-teacher to see how my local support system will be. I'm also anxious to see the town I'll be in -- and see if it is as industrial as I am picturing it to be.

Anyway, I'm off to dance practice right now!
Have a good day everyone!
PS- Stephanie arrives tomorrow! YAY!

No comments: