Thursday, August 28, 2008

And the food adventures continue...

Today unfortunately I was too tired in the morning to do my workout. I woke up, did my stretches, and though, there's no way I'm going to do my sit-ups, push-ups, etc.

Today I started my 2nd lesson -- and I must say it went pretty good. I'd even venture to say the first class went amazingly well! I introduced the squirt bottle -- so when they are late, not listening to me, talking too much in Korean, I squirt them with water!! I think it will be a lot of fun, both for me and for them. ^^ We did presentations about our Who Am I? projects and I also showed them pictures of my family, pets, house, Knox, dance, and Argentina & Spain. They said that dad was "very handsome". They also wanted me to dance for them after showing them a couple dance pictures.

Today was a very loooong day in general. I had 4 student classes and 1 teacher class. I spent a lot of time grading today -- I have a new appreciation for teachers. Grading 600 students (which, granted, most US teachers don't have nearly that many students to grade) takes forever, even on simple assignments. The English teachers' workshop discussed an article from the NY Times about Korean cram schools. It was interesting to hear what sorts of words in the article the teachers did and didn't know, and also the few opinions they did get to express (bc we didn't have too much time for discussion).

At 6 I went out with the teachers again as a going away party for our Vice Principal, who is transferring to another school. I had duck!! It was actually pretty good. I like the Korean style of eating any kind of meat -- take a piece of lettuce in your hand, put the meat on the lettuce, along with onions/mushrooms/garlic/other veggies, add some sauce/chili paste for flavor, wrap it all in lettuce and shove it all in your mouth at once! I had 2 shots of Soju (Korean rice vodka) tonight -- first time I've drank in a few weeks. One of the shots I had sitting in my glass while I was eating, and I look up and the principal is looking at me from 2 tables away holding up a glass of beer. He smiled at me and raised his glass, and then we took a drink together, from 2 tables apart!! ^^ It was super cute. I think the principal really likes me -- I need to suck up to him even more!! heehee. Mrs. Song was nice enough to take me home.

Tonight I went and played in the park nearby with my host family -- there is an outdoor mini-gym which I'll have to start frequenting, swings, and a few sets of monkey bars -- I did tricks on the monkey bars like when I was little!! The boys were impressed and thought I could win a gold medal in the Olympics!!

Anyway, off to bed. I can't believe it's Friday tomorrow!! ^^

Korean words of the day:
오리=Duck
상추=Lettuce
마늘=Garlic
이끼=Moss
은행=Ginko/Bank

No comments: