Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last day before I am Ms. V

Today was a nice day. I stayed home most of the day and prepared for tomorrow (finished lesson plan, made a poster for rules, read some more of our teaching manual, made a seating chart, etc) as well as wrapped a gazillion presents for my host family and people at school (principal, VP, co-teacher). I hope they like them tomorrow! My host family seemed to love what I gave them: Uno, Phase 10, a farm puzzle, a copy of Welcome to Our Farm, 2 U of IA t-shirts, US coins, and a very nice candle. I hope they really did like it!! ^^

I just remembered something special my host father said to me the first night: "We are happy to be your host family. I hope by the end of the year we can drop the 'host'. " Isn't that so sweet?

Both parents were at work today (the mom had class, and the father had to prep for class) and so I was home alone with the kids for most of the morning and afternoon. Jun-eun, the youngest, prepared lunch for us! He cooked frozen hamburgers in a frying pan. I was very impressed! American kids would not know how/be allowed to use a gas stove at age 10.

I taught Jun-ho (the older one) how to play Dutch Blitz this afternoon.

Tonight for dinner we went to a Dakgalbi restaurant (the chicken dish that Chuncheon is famous for), and I'm pretty sure there might have been octopus in the dish as well. In either case, it was almost as delicious as in Chuncheon, so that was a nice treat. My host mom cooks very good food. This morning, besides seaweed soup, rice, kimchi, and other pan chan (side dishes) there was an omelet-like thing, but much better. It also had onions, peppers, & green onion in it. This morning at breakfast I told my host family about Dad's accident and they were so kind. I feel bad because I started crying even before I could start saying anything and they were very concerned.

After dinner we went for a walk along a stream downtown, that also has paved side walks similar to the one I visited several times in Seoul. It was beautiful and a great time. I saw one of THE MOST AMAZING THINGS EVER -- the city government offers a free aerobics class for its citizens to keep them in shape. So, along this river path there was this open air aerobics class. Imagine 60+ middle aged women gettin' their groove on right down town. And I mean shakin it!! AND, the best part, the leader woman was up on a stage blaring some rocking tunes, and she had the best outfit every. It was like a dance costume: pink booty-pants-suit (all one piece), and the top part was a halter top with sparkles. Incredible!! My host father took some pictures on my camera and I think one of the women yelled at him for it. Oops! Totally worth it though.

That's it for now, I must get to bed as I have a big day tomorrow!! Wish me luck!

Keep praying for Dad. He is showing signs of improvement every day. He has been able to hold a glass of pop, and use a fork successfully, and use a computer mouse.
"Ben", Jun-eun.
"Andy", Jun-oh.
Mound of gifts before I started wrapping.
Gifts for host family, principal, VP, and co-teacher. Very nice :-)
Along the stream in Suncheon. Silly boys.
Night view of Suncheon reflecting off the river.
Host family opening the presents!! Yay!! ^^

No comments: