Today started off as usual, workout at the buttcrack of dawn, ride to school with host mom. I taught 5 classes today!! 4 student classes and 1 English teacher class. I finished my first lesson today, as now I have met with all 17 classes. Teaching the same lesson 17 times really isn't bad. After about the 4th time you have it perfected!! I had 2 1st grade classes and 2 2nd grade classes. It was nice to teach 2nd grade again, since their abilities are so much higher!!
For the English class, since it meets from 12-1, and our lunch break is 1-2, the teachers all took me out to lunch to an EXCELLENT restaurant. We had what they called pork spine, (통고기="tong-goh-gi"), but I think it is pork loin, just with the spine left aside it. It was DELICIOUS!! It was steamed and had a delicious sauce. Also with "chapche", a kind of noodles and veggies. Delicious! We were going to discuss the article I sent them from the NY Times about a week ago about Korean hagwans (private academies/cram schools). However, we just had open discussion instead. We talked about all sorts of things: they wanted to hear about Argentina/Spain, and then we talked about lots of different stuff. While we were eating, they were speaking only in Korea, which was weird since this lunch was a "welcoming party" for me. But I had a good time once we started discussing in English.
My classes were done at 4 but I ended up staying until 5 to finish grading the Who Am I? / nametag projects as well as prepping for tomorrow, since I will be teaching a new lesson!! ^^ YAY! We will finish the Who Am I? project, do presentations, and have a Q&A session about me! And I'll give a brief introduction. I hope they have fun asking me questions. I've prepared 20 on slips of paper in case they run out of ideas. I'm also introducing the squirt bottle, for when they are late/off task. Should be a fun (and wet!) class!! ^^
Tonight for dinner we had raw beef! Yes, raw beef. (육회="yook-hwey") It was edible, but the pieces were so big and very chewy. Not as good as the raw fish from yesterday. I only ate 2 pieces. We also had 비빔밥="bibimbap", which is rice with mixed veggies. My host mom ended up cooking a few pieces of the beef for me, and it was much more delicious that way! :D
I prepared a Power Point with pics for my self intro tomorrow and showed my host family the DVD of my solo and AMEBA dance from this past May. They really enjoyed it! Then some how I got to showing them pictures from everything -- Knox, dance, Argentina, Turkey. We looked at pictures for probably an hour and a half! They were jealous of my travels. I feel so lucky to have all these experiences!!
Anyway, now to bed! New lesson to teach tomorrow, as well as 5 classes again!
Goodnight.
PS-- Michael's sinus surgery went well. His nose is still bleeding a lot, and he is going to stay home for this week and recoup. My mom should start charging hospital fees! Please keep her, my brother, and my dad all in your prayers. I'll keep you updated!!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment