Friday, August 1, 2008

TGIF!

Thank goodness it's Friday. My brain has most definitely been super-saturated with Korean class this week. I'm so glad my last of the 3 lessons we taught for camp was on Thursday, whereas today was actually the last day of teaching. When class got done at 1pm there was no way I could go teach! ^_^

I watched the rest of Project Runway and took a GLORIOUS nap. I Skyped with Ike a bit, who is down in Texas for a gaming (read: nerd) conference. At 6pm I had my speaking test for the PhD candidate that is here conducting a study about Korean language learning. Then I sprinted off to the movie the program was showing us tonight. It was really interesting. It was about the Korean war and told the story of 2 brothers. It was very Saving Private Ryan-esque, but in a good way. The fighting scenes were a little long for me, but it had a very interesting story. It was LOOONNG though. There were actually 2 disks. After the movie I went with Matt and Josh to find some food. We ended up going to a Korean bacon restaurant. They brought out big fat pieces of bacon, loads of kimchi, amazing mushrooms, garlic, and onions and threw it all on a skillet to fry in front of us. We had lettuce leaves and sesame leaves to eat with. (I can't eat the sesame leaves...they are way too bitter for me. Our cafeteria uses them in a lot of soups.) We also had some amazing ginger and chili pastes to dip into, along with a side dish that was some sort of onion (white and green maybe?) with some good seasonings. I loved the meal! We actually only ordered 1 serving for all 3 of us and it was plenty, especially since none of us were very hungry. Then we went out for Patbingsu at Ice Cool (OF COURSE!).

All in all it was a very relaxing night. I just got done Skyping with Mom & Dad and it was nice to talk with them finally. They have been camping this past week, so I had not gotten a chance to talk with them about my placement. Anyway, I'm going to go ahead a stop here so I can try to get myself to study on a Friday night! :-)

PS-- I talked briefly with Stephanie and she has made it safely to her apartment in Daejeon, so that makes me very happy! Hopefully I'll get to visit her sometime soon after I move to my placement.
A page in the workbook that we did today. We're learning this crazy contraction-like grammar point where they can connect two sentences by dropping part of the verb and contracting it with a word for and. #1, for example, says the weather is hot and rainy. We started the chapter on weather today.
A view of Chuncheon from the 9th floor of our classroom building. It was a great view!
Yum! Bacon restaurant. On the left is tofu, mushrooms, onion. Then the bacon. Followed by a massive clump of kimchi.
Many of the meat restaurants here have a cute and happy looking animal advertising for them.
The patbingsu restaurant out the back gate has graffiti all over the walls.

No comments: