Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ok, we're going swimming?

So until late last night, I was under the impression we were doing something together as a family this morning and I wouldn't have a chance to go to church. I figured this was ok since it was the first weekend with the host family. Well, then I find out we're not leaving until 1pm! So I could have gone, but still do not know where the church is. Luckily, Mr. Im, one of the English teachers, is "Catholic" but doesn't go often, but his wife goes every weekend! He said he'll take me to church (at least the first time) to show me where it is. I'll go with him next weekend.

Anyhoo, after folding my laundry and doing some free-reading this morning, we left for Gwangyang Valley this afternoon. My host father told me "You better prepare an extra set of pants." Me: "Ok, are we going to get wet?" "Yes." Ok, so I brought an extra pair of shorts. While we are getting in the van to head out, my host brother says "Today is the perfect day for swimming." Me: "Oh, are we swimming today?" "Yeah.... we're going to Gwangyang Valley!" Ok, so I didn't know going to a valley meant swimming, but whatevs!! I'm down with that. Koreans swim in their clothes when swimming in places other than official swimming pools. Good thing I wore some shorts that I just washed so they could get dirty again today! ^^ It's cool though, I had a great time. We drove to Gwangyang and on the other side of the town is this stream. Quite a few families were there enjoying the day. We get there, drop off our picnic stuff on this little alcove area we claimed, and then I got in in my normal clothes and went swimming with the boys!! We had a samgyepsal picnic (grilled bacon) and it was delicious! I also ate a ton of grapes, my new addiction replacing patbingsu. We fished just for fun (and released right away). There are only small fish in this stream (1-4 inches mainly), but I did see 1 medium sized fish about 8 inches long. It was great weather outside today, so perfect for spending the afternoon outside.

After returning home I ate clams for the first time ever! We had something similar to fried rice, and then soup with clams in it. They weren't bad. I wouldn't say they were delicious, but they weren't bad at all. Now the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony is going on. It's pretty incredible, but I am super tired and will be going to bed early tonight (and getting up early to do my workout ^^).

I really feel so grateful that my host family has been so warm and welcoming to me. I really feel like I'm part of their family, especially with the host brothers. They treat me just like big sister!! ^^

Some words I've picked up in Korean lately:
포도 =grapes ("poh-doh")
꿀= honey ("ggul")
수영하다 = to swim ("su-yeong-ha-da")

View of the stream from our little alcove today.
Samgyupsal picnic!! YUM!!
Playing with Jun-eun in the water. Yes, I swam in those clothes.
Getting the fishing poles ready.
Jun-ho being silly.
Host parents fishing together.
Jun-ho practicing swimming.
Jun-eun fishing!
Goofball in his snorkel gear.
View looking out over the reservoir.

1 comment:

cglinsma said...

I love the picture of you and Jun-eun on the log! Looks like you guys do lots of fun things. I get tired just looking at the pics. :-)